Is your mouth watering already? There’s more to go.
Typically, Black Forest cake consists of several layers of chocolate cake, with whipped cream and cherries between each layer. Then the cake is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings. In some European traditions sour cherries are used both between the layers and for decorating the top.
Now is the time to listen to your watering mouth and taste your own Black Forest Cake! Here’s the recipe:
Preparation: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling Yield: 16 Servings.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls, maraschino cherries and fresh mint
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat the oil, egg yolks, 1 cup sugar and melted chocolate. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with milk.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a large bowl, beat cream filling ingredients until smooth; cover and refrigerate. For cherry filling, drain cherries, reserving juice. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar and cherry juice until smooth. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in extract and food coloring. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat chocolate filling ingredients until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate.
- To assemble, cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup cream filling. Place 1 cup cream filling in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a 1/2-in. triangle in one corner of bag. Make a rim of filling 3/4 in. high around outer edge of cake.
- Make a second rim 2 in. from edge. Spoon cherry filling between rings. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Spread chocolate filling over second cake layer; place over cherry filling.
- Spread remaining cream filling over third layer; place over chocolate filling. Top with fourth layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls, cherries and mint. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 589 calories, 28 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Don’t wait, It’s time to hit the dish!